Over 40 unloved, neglected or derelict urban spaces across the country will be transformed into new green spaces. It was confirmed by the Parks and Green Spaces Minister Rishi Sunak MP on 26 March 2019.
Also, through the £3.75m Pocket Parks Plus programme over 150 community-led groups will receive funding to help bring parks that have fallen into disrepair back into use.
Parks and Green Spaces Minister Rishi Sunak MP said:
“Parks and green spaces – no matter what size – are huge assets to our towns and cities. They offer us all opportunities to relax, socialise, exercise and play. The Pocket Parks Plus Programme gives local leaders and their communities the means to better maintain, protect and enhance their treasured green spaces.
Among the successful schemes to be funded are:
- Warwick Place Play Area, a play area in Tewkesbury which has been awarded £23,500.
- A new nature trail and wildflower meadow in Baildon, Bradford, which will add beauty and green space to the local area.
- Flood Meadows in Alton, Hampshire – led by Amery Hill Residents Association, received £25,000.
In addition to the Pocket Parks Plus Programme the Government have recently:
- Awarded £9.7m of new funding to local authorities. This is to enhance the resources they need to maintain and boost recreational spaces.
- Awarded over a million pounds to the National Trust and The National Lottery Heritage Fund’s Future Parks Accelerator initiative. This is to test new and innovative approaches to managing and funding parks.
The government will continue to work with the Parks Action Group, which represents leaders from across the parks sector. It is providing support funding for community empowerment programmes, professional development for the parks workforce and alternative park management models to ensure parks are fit for the 21st century.
It also extended the Green Flag Award licence in 2017 by a further 5 years. Meaning the people behind Britain’s best parks and green spaces will continue to be recognised and awarded for their tireless dedication.