Fast expanding UK topiary and specimen plant specialists Agrumi want you to know about the work they’ve been doing over the last year and some of their exciting projects coming up in the next few months.
Founded in 2006, Agrumi started life in the beautiful New Forest as a family-run wholesale ornamental tree, shrub and plant supplier. That remains important, but the company has diversified and now also offers bespoke topiary. Uniquely in the UK the nursery creates innovative designs from top quality plants nurtured on site. Each bespoke topiary project is approached individually and the company works closely with clients using its plant know-how to fully realize their aspirations and produce results that delight and surprise.
Highlights among Agrumi’s 2014 commissions included:
- A project for the BBC to create the words ‘BBC Entertainment’ in 1.2m topiary letters for promotional event abroad. See a film about the project at topiaryart.co.uk.
- Creation of a life-size giraffe in box privet for ITV’s hugely successful ‘Love Your Garden’ series with Alan Titchmarsh.
- A project for the Britsh Company Radley to celebrate the re-launch of their flagship store in Covent Garden. Agrumi made Radley a 6m high model of the company’s world famous Scottie dog logo to appear as a ‘pop-up’. As the design was subsequently intended to go on a UK tour, including a barge along the Thames and an appearance in Scotland, Agrumi made this commission in artificial, long-lasting and weather-resistant artificial box.
- Substantial additions to Agrumi’s topiary installations at the Paultons family theme park in Hampshire. Paultons already had a vast range of Agrumi’s topiary designs to compliment their rides and gardens. Last year they added a series of life-sized, circus-themed characters to accompany the Park’s magnificent new double-decker Victorian carousel. The new sculptures have been another big hit and appreciated by adults and children alike.
- A topiary tableaux of British wildlife animals and birds to feature at the entrance of each of the 18 Notcutts Garden Centers across the country.
- A giant teddy bear commissioned for a municipal gardens project in Belgium. The bear now adorns a roundabout ‘waving’ to passers by.
- Covering a new version of Agrumi’s existing giant topiary stiletto shoe for Rain Communications at St Christopher’s Place in London’s West End in LED lights.
Agrumi topiary started 2015 by making a stunning display to welcome Percy Thrower’s Garden Centre in Shrewsbury into the Wyevale Group. The design features the nursery’s name in 1.2m letters, each handmade on a metal frame and covered in Star Jasmine. Planted into the ground, the letters are a great advertisement for the nursery and the power of plants. Other new commissions are arriving all the time, but Agrumi wants to keep pushing the imaginative limits of what it does and recently produced a set of human-size figures based on the original drawings for Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland, which celebrates its 150th anniversary this year. Carroll’s eccentric, whimsical characters with strong design features as realised by artist John Tenniel are well suited to topiary. Alice Liddell, Carroll’s inspiration, also lived and is buried near the Agrumi nursery which made the project particularly appealing. The RHS has adopted Alice as a children’s theme for 2015 and Agrumi will be displaying their topiary Alice characters in RHS venues and at other shows and events around the country later this year.
Agrumi is anticipating that 2015 will be an exceptional year for its topiary with the business building on a growing reputation and expanding into previously unexplored design territory inspired by new clients.
Media contact for Agrumi Limited: Stanley Jackson (Director) on 07786064018