My Twitter Feed

February 18, 2018

Latest:

Alan Titchmarsh teams up with Beth Chatto Educational Trust for charity fundraiser -

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Cheltenham High Street improvements begin this summer -

Saturday, February 17, 2018

LDA Design to deliver a Big Town Plan for Shrewsbury -

Friday, February 16, 2018

Mayor’s £6m fund to boost green spaces & reduce plastic waste -

Friday, February 16, 2018

Get your hands dirty with an RHS apprenticeship -

Friday, February 16, 2018

Kubota UK launches new zero turn ride-on mower -

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Piet Oudolf at RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show 2018 -

Thursday, February 15, 2018

RAF100 Centenary Garden seeks sponsors -

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Show of resilience from invasives experts at industry conference -

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Celebrating business success: The Pro Landscaper Business Awards 2017 -

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Palmstead Nurseries launches new staff training academy -

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Seminars introduce new guidance on tree selection for green infrastructure projects -

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

30th birthday celebrations for Holland Landscapes -

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

New GreenMech sub 750kg QuadChip 160 takes over 70% of tree surgeon Kevin Patton’s work -

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Green-tech wins Supplier category in Pro Landscaper Business Awards 2017 -

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Conservation apprenticeships available in the Yorkshire Dales -

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Alan Titchmarsh to open new exhibition at Woburn Abbey marking the bicentenary of Humphry Repton -

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Ransomes continues long partnership with Continental Landscapes -

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Industry exhibit revealed for RHS Chelsea 2018 -

Monday, February 12, 2018

Wildflowers embraced by the University of York -

Monday, February 12, 2018

Parks plan agreed by Knowsley Council’s Cabinet

Knowsley

Knowsley Council’s Cabinet has tonight agreed unanimously that a decision to establish a charitable trust to manage the borough’s green spaces will go ahead.

The ‘Shaping a New Future for Knowsley’s Parks’ report was agreed by Cabinet on 28 November, but was called in for further consideration by the Sustainable Boroughs Scrutiny Committee, which made some recommendations following their meeting on 19 December.

The Cabinet considered each of the recommendations made by the Scrutiny Committee in turn before voting again Tuesday evening] on the proposals, which will see a charitable Trust established to manage green spaces in the borough from April 2019, when council funding for the service runs out. The Trust would be funded by the sale of 10% of the borough’s green spaces over the next 15 years. This would create a £40m endowment, the interest from which would be used to manage and maintain the remaining 90%, forever.

Details of the sites to be surrendered were put forward at the Cabinet meeting in November (available on the council’s website) and work will now begin on developing a business case. An outline business case will be considered by Scrutiny in the summer before a final decision is made on the full business case by Cabinet late this year.

Cllr Andy Moorhead said: “We know that our proposals for the future management of parks and green spaces are a big decision for the borough and one that we must get right.

“As a Cabinet, we’re only too well aware that taking no action to protect our parks and green spaces is not an option. With funding running out from April next year we have a responsibility to think creatively to ensure future generations are still able to enjoy quality open spaces as we do.

“This is not a decision we have come to lightly – and it was not a decision we made alone. The recommendations we’ve agreed were put forward following extensive consultation and research by the independent Parks Review Board who were asked to find the best solution. This is about protecting parks, not taking them away.

“Now that the decision has also been through the Scrutiny process I’m even more confident that we’re on the right track. Work will now get underway to develop the full business case which will be back before Cabinet later this year.”

The papers from tonight’s meeting can be viewed on the council’s website.

Comments are closed.